This hearty casserole can be served as the main course for your ‘no meat’ guests this holiday season. Using our Sunflower or Pumpkin Keto bread mixes, keeps this low carb, …
Caramelized Onion & Mushroom Keto Stuffing
This hearty casserole can be served as the main course for your ‘no meat’ guests this holiday season. Using our Sunflower or Pumpkin Keto bread mixes, keeps this low carb, nut and gluten free to meet the ‘strictest’ of eating regimes.
This dish was inspired by our dear staff member, Michelle K. She comes to us with years of cooking experience and often makes new exciting dishes from our products to share ~ THANK YOU Michelle, we are so grateful for your Culinary Genius!
Serve this casserole as a vegetarian stuffing at your Holiday meal or as a stand alone cozy winter meal. We love it with a side of greasy greens and roasted cauliflower to complete a dinner filled with healthy fats and minimal carbs.
THE BREAD ~ Make either of our Keto U Bake Breads into buns, cube 1/2 of them and bake in the oven at 250 for 1/2 hour or until dried. You should have 2 cups of dried cubes. (or use stale buns, cubed) Dried bread is important for the finished texture of this dish.
- 1/4 cup grass fed butter or coconut oil
- 1 onion ~ finely chopped
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 stalks celery ~ finely chopped
- 2 cups mushrooms ~ chopped
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 Tbsp fresh mixed herbs ~ sage, rosemary, thyme or 1 tsp each dried
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup broth
- fresh cracked pepper
- Melt butter or oil over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until translucent. Add 1/2 the salt, continue over medium heat to draw out the moisture. Once the liquid has evaporated, turn down to low, stirring occasionally as you prepare the rest of the ingredients. Taking the time to caramelize your onions is worth it ~ up to 1/ 2 hour.
- Preheat your oven to 375 and oil a 9×11 pyrex or casserole dish that will hold 8 cups.
- Add mushrooms, celery, spices and herbs turning back to medium high heat. A little more salt. Sauté until the mushrooms are cooked ~ about 10 minutes.
- Beat eggs with broth and fresh cracked pepper.
- Combine the veggies with the bread cubes and transfer to the baking dish.
- Pour the egg/broth over and bake covered for 45 mins – 1 hour. Remove cover for the last 10 minutes to brown the top.
** Optional addition ~ roasted cubed squash takes this to the next level. Not strictly Keto, but worth it!