Try this bright and fresh Carrot Top Pesto for all your spread and dipping needs. While carrots are available all year round, they are best enjoyed fresh from the garden …
Roasted Thai Coconut Squash Puree
This simple vegan soup is quick to make and fuels the digestive fires with an intoxicating blend of lemongrass, Thai spices and rich coconut milk.Serves 6
1 large squash or 2 small, to equal 4 cups of roasted pulp
1 Tbsp coconut oil
1 cup yellow onion or leeks diced
2 shallots minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2-3 Tbsp ginger, grated
1/2 -1 Tbsp red thai curry paste
4 kaffir lime leaves ~ juice of 1 fresh lime can be substituted, added before serving
2 lemongrass stalks, bruised and chopped in large pieces ~will be discarded before serving
4 cups stock or water
1 can coconut milk
2-4 Tbsp palm sugar
sea salt to taste
Garnish: minced cilantro and green onions
1. Roast squash by cutting in half long ways, remove seeds and bake cut side down at 350F until skin is soft, approx. 40 minutes. Allow to cool before handling. While squash is roasting, prepare remaining soup ingredients.
2. Sauté onion and shallots in coconut oil until softened, about 5 minutes. Add salt, ginger, garlic, curry paste and other spices. Sauté another 5 minutes.
3. Deglaze pan with small amount of stock.
4. Add kaffir lime leaves, lemongrass and the thick part of the coconut milk. Bring to slow boil. This will allow the fats to surface and develop the flavours.
5. Scoop squash flesh from skin and add to soup.
6. Add remaining stock and simmer 20 minutes.
7. Puree soup and simmer a few minutes longer to combine flavours. Remove the lemongrass and lime leaves.
8. Garnish with minced cilantro and green onion.