JOIN OUR TRIBE Happy New Moon in Taurus! Where did the time go? It feels like yesterday we were converting the old tool shed into our first production space to …
Caramelized Onion Soup w/ Ancho Chilis, Tortilla Crisps and Lime Crema
This rich soup is a hybrid combination of French Onion and Tortilla Soup. Satisfying enough to serve as a main course with a light salad.
Vegan Option ~ Omit ghee & cheese. Substitute sour cream with cashew cream.
8 sweet white onions, sliced in thin crescent moons
3 cloves garlic
4 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp ghee
1-2 Tbsp coconut palm sugar
4-6 dried ancho chilis
1-2 tsp Himalayan Crystal salt
1 Tbsp fresh oregano or 1 tsp dried
2 Tbsp tomato paste ~ optional
6 cups vegetable stock or water
4 stale corn tortillas cut into thin strips
4 Tbsp coconut oil
1/2 cup Monterey Jack cheese, grated (optional)
1 avocado chopped
1/2 cup sour cream or cashew cream
juice and zest of 1 lime
2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
1. Heat olive oil and ghee in heavy bottom pan over medium heat. Saute the onions until translucent. Add 1 tsp of sea salt and sweetener. Continue cooking until onions are caramelized and rich in color. Approximately 1/2 hour.
2. While you are cooking the onions, stem and seed the chilis and dry roast in a hot cast iron pan. Transfer to your Vitamix and pour boiling water to cover. Let soak for 15 minutes to soften.
3. Puree the chilis w/ garlic and oregano. Add to the onions along with stock and tomato paste. Simmer 20 minutes. Season to taste.
4. Meanwhile heat coconut oil and fry the tortilla strips in small batches until crisp, dry on newspaper lined paper towel to absorb extra oil.
5. Combine sour cream, lime juice and zest.
6. Serve soup in deep bowls. Garnish with grated cheese, a handful of tortilla crisps, chopped avocado and lime crema.